Friday, April 25, 2008

ANZAC Day



So the trip is almost over... it is ANZAC day here and I attended the pre-dawn (so no pic's of it) service. I haven't been to one since I was a kid. but, I wore my paper poppy with honor. The boys brigade supplied the marching music while the veterans kept marching time... "by the left!"... in a valiant, albeit limping stride for a few of the old timers. A magnificent affair as the Sargent Major barked... left, left, left right, left. The sound of the surf crashing behind me much like it would have on the shores of Callipoli and the shuffling of old tired feet going by brought this event in focus for me and I was glad it was dark...



All most a 100 years ago those brave boys landed at Callipoli to start t
he legend. (you can Google it). There is a church service being held across the road so that means another parade won't be far away... let me see if I can capture some of those parsisipating in the march downtown!

No comments: